Toad River, BC
Toad River, BC is a small community located at historical mile 422 on the Alaska Highway, about 2 hours north/ west of Fort Nelson and only 45 minutes from Muncho Lake. There are a couple of campgrounds, lodges and tour operators in the area as well as a small community of about 40 people and a gas station and a school.
Toad River Quick Facts:
- Toad River is the second largest community in the NRRM.
- Toad River is connected to BC Hydro's electrical grid since 2009.
- There are more than 6000 hats on the ceiling of Toad River Lodge.
The 90-km drive through Muncho Lake Provincial Park has a reputation for being the most scenic part of the Alaska Highway.
Wildlife Around Toad River, BC:
It is almost impossible not to observe wildlife as you travel through the Northeast, the so-called Serengeti of North America. Stone Sheep, mountain goats, bison, moose, elk, caribou, and white-tailed and mule deer can be sighted on the highway often. Although seldomly, wolves, coyotes, foxes, grizzly bears, black bears, lynx and wolverines may also be sighted along the Alaska Highway.
Deer, moose, bears, and elk frequent clearings alongside roads, foraging for food. In some areas, salt licks have been placed near the road to attract ungulates. Be careful when driving these roads, especially at night; if you were to hit a moose, the chances are good that your vehicle would come out of the encounter in worse shape than the moose.
Bald eagles soar up above, while goshawks, great horned owls and peregrine falcons are also sighted often around the Toad River - Munch Lake area.
Reflection Lake is excellent habitat for moose, beaver, swans, geese and other waterfowl. Take a moment to stop at this wildlife viewing area, the access for which is through the Toad River Lodge RV Park.
Fishing around Toad River, BC:
- Racing River: Access is at the Racing River Bridge (Mile=406 KM=654 HM (Historic Mile) =422). Good fishing for Arctic Grayling and Dolly Varden.
- Toad River: There are multiple highway access points for large Arctic Grayling and Dolly Varden.
- Muncho Lake: Mile 442 (historical mile 462). Good fishing for Lake Trout especially in late spring / early summer. during summer months fishing is tough around Muncho Lake. Consider Fly-in Fishing tour for an unforgettable fishing experience.
- Teeter Creek: Mile 483 / Km 777, fish for Arctic Grayling: Short hike to location, waterfall at site. Fish in the small pool at the bottom of the falls.
- Smith River Falls: Mile 483 / KM 792, fish for Dolly Varden: short hike to location, waterfalls at site. Fish in the pool at the bottom of the falls
- Fly-in Fishing (fly fishing and spincasting): The Northern Rockies Lodge together with Liard Air offers Fly-in fishing tours departing from Muncho Lake to remote mountain lakes for some of the best fresh water fishing in N. America.
Gas Stations Around Toad River, BC
There is a gas station at the Toad River Lodge. Please note that highway gas stations are typically closed by 10pm. Many of the gas stations on the highway suffer from service interruptions as they run out of fuel. The most reliable gas station is conveniently located exactly half way between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake, about 45 minutes drive from Toad River at the Northern Rockies Lodge in Muncho Lake. If you plan to stay at the Northern Rockies Lodge, you will receive a $0.20/ L discount on your gas or diesel. The Northern Rockies Lodge is the only full service stop open year round in the area.